A list of changes, improvements and random milestones.
- Fix bug, when daily profiles limit was ignored.
I've described technical details here
- Old messages are not shown by default in a private discussion page.
Instead there is a link to show older messages. This should speed up page load.
- When showing messages, also show time since it was sent (requested feature).
Unfortunately timezone support is a bit complicated, so I just show time since the message was sent (instead of when).
- Restructured feedback page.
I noticed that many people reported bugs via Google Form. This was definitely suboptimal. I made it more obvious which channels should be used for which kinds of feedback. Thank you a lot for your feedback!
- Described in FAQ how matching / ranking algo works (thank you for your suggestion).
I think this may help you to choose your search parameters.
- Show profile lists (instead of browsing through single profiles).
The site has grew, the old approach with scrolling through single profiles didn't work well anymore. Thus, I rewrote to show profile lists. This also make UI much more obvious, e.g. one can easily see which profiles they've already seen and which are new.
- Increased number of interested requests from 2 to 3 per day as well as new profiles shown from 10 to 12.
The site has grown substantially and, while the limits have
positive benefits, the previous values were unnecessarily strict taking into
account number of users. Happy dating!
- Changed when users can send more requests.
Previously the refresh was done on UTC midnight, which was
confusing to people from other timezones. Now a running window approach is
used, e.g. if you send two requests at 9am, your requests will be "refreshed"
next day on 9am.
- Fully rewrote search & matching.
One can look for friendships and romantic partner at the same time with different preferences. Location matching is much more flexible now - one can choose city, state, country, anywhere or up to specific distance away (as well as any combination of these). Offline and online preferences are gone (replaced with location preferences).
- Fixed a bug related to requests from deleted accounts.
Previously one couldn't respond to such a request, as a result it was always shown as new. Now one can respond, moreover when a user deleted their account, all their non-answered requests are denied automatically.
- Added city geocoding.
This is not used anywhere yet, just happens in the background. I am working on showing profiles at X miles away from your city, this is the first step. First, I check in a local database, which is provided by http://www.maxmind.com/. Attribution: "This product includes data created by MaxMind, available from http://www.maxmind.com/". If the city is not there, I query https://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/. I am grateful to both services! If Nominatim does not have it, I have manual moderation (me).
- There was another account deleted, because they've "found someone". Thus, I extended "delete profile" form to explicitly ask whether the user found someone and whether I could reach to them.
Number of such deleted profiles now becomes a success metric. Also I would love to know when site really works well (e.g. people stay together for a long time or even marry), that's why I would love to send an email after some time. Imagine someone getting married, because they met here - this would help to popularize the site a lot.
- Truncated message texts (at most 10 words now) when showing all threads (thank you for the suggestion via feature board).
Previously entire message was shown, which might have been inconvenient.
- Added archiving message threads.
There is "archive" button when viewing the thread. A new message in the thread will unarchive it.
- Usernames are now case insensitive (thank you for the idea).
When you register as "User", you can login using "user", "USER", "uSeR", "useR" etc.
- I have created a Google Form (only for registered users) for more structured feedback.
The development was already feedback driven, but it was very anecdotal (people suggested ideas to me, I tried to assess impact). I hope to get more quantative data from the form. I plan to add possible features to the form and let people vote.
- Added optional "languages" field to the profile (thank you for the idea!).
- Linebreaks in profile fields are now preserved (thank you for the suggestion).
- Ctrl+Enter now creates new line when typing a message (thank you for the idea).
Same as before Enter alone sends the message.
- When sending a message in Firefox, the text does not stay behind anymore (thank you for reporting).
- I am making usernames case insensitive.
Username existance check during registration is already case insensitive. There are usernames in DB, which differ only by case, so I will reach to their owners before making login case-insensitive too.
- Email notifications for messages are now sent for each unread thread separately.
Previously one could get at most one such email per day. This meant that all following messages in the same day triggered no email. In the new system, there is no "1 email per day" limitation and one can get more than one email notification per day if they receive more messages after the first email and don't read them.
- I finally implemented proper account deletion.
Very occasionaly some users asked me to delete their accounts. Just deleting all their data would create bad experience for people they interacted with. The new approach preserves e.g. the fact that there was a request and shows that account was deleted (i.e. one can't see anything about the account, but it is obvious that there was a requests).
- Stats page now shows top 10 cities and countries.
- I finally finished approving cities! Yay!
- Stats page now shows counts for users with pictures (also always unblurred) and empty profiles.
- Empty profiles (i.e. only having mandatory fields) are now deprioritized during matching.
In other words profiles with more information will be shown first.
- Enlarged new message textarea on mobile (thank you for your feedback).
Previously one could see only ~20 characters, now at least 5 lines.
- I am still manually approving existing cities (I think I've done 130 out of ~400).
- When updating manually profile, cities to pick from are now sorted.
- I've removed "'" from email subjects.
I've got an impression that these emails are not delivered more often, so I decided to try my luck. Unfortunately, from the website perspective everything works well and it looks like later in the email service something breaks. As a result, it is super hard to investigate.
- I've added better internal error logging.
Some people reported that they don't receive some emails, I am investigating and this error logging should help.
- We are more than 500 already! Yay! Please consider spreading the word, the more - the merrier.
- I've added ability to select ages to be matched with.
To be honest this one is a bit controversial. First, many people don't want provide their ages, so I had to add a special option to be matched with people "with no age". Second, age is a weird thing. At least I had experiences in my life, which according to society views would be impossible due to age difference, but they were amazing. So, please, when you have some strict age preferences consider at least making the window quite broad.
- External contact details are not shown in your profile anymore.
The new messaging system is much better - safer (you decide who sees what) and more convenient (you can agree on some mean of communication if you want to move somewhere). I will soon delete all the contact details data and remove all the remaining UI (e.g. edit forms) related to it.
Incoming requests page now has "new" label when there are unresolved requests.
This way you can quickly see whether there is something new, just by visiting the main page (similarly to "new" marker on all messages page). Please accept or deny incoming requests to resolve them.
Show interested requests (sent & accepted) and messages counts (sent & read) on public stats page.
Add manually updated values to public stats, e.g. time and money spent.
- Profile photos are now clickable.
- Started deprecating "contact details".
This was main communication mechanism before built-in messaging was implemented. It is not needed anymore, but users who registered earlier might still rely on it. As of now, users who don't have any contact details won't be able to add them. Users who have something still can edit.
- Added email notifications when one receives a message.
Unsubcription is only 1 click, you don't even need to sign in. Only people whose request you accepted or whom you sent a request can send you message, so this should be low traffic. Moreover, currently I send at most 1 such email per day (because I couldn't figure a good way to prevent sending emails for messages which you will read in a moment e.g. because you chatting right now - I am working on a better solution).
- Added a way to reset forgotten password via email.
- Designed profile update pages to look better on mobile.
- Designed login and signup pages to look better on mobile.
- Designed main landing page (non signed in) to look much better on mobile.
- I improved showing other profiles on mobile.
To be honest I designed everything only for desktop originally. Thus, it looked terribly on mobile. Now it should be much more readable.
- Uploaded pictures are now automatically resized to be at most 1000px in any dimension.
Larger pictures take too much time to load (especially on mobile).
- Added "friendship" mode (thank you for the idea!).
Each profile now have "relationship type", which can be "romantic" or "friendship". All existing profiles automaticaly get assigned "romantic". You will matched only with people, who look for the same relationship type and fullfil all other already existing criteria.
- Improved text contrast on many pages (like signup and login) by wrapping it into white background block. Thank you for the idea!
- We reached 100 profiles. Thank you all!
- Added FIRE type (lean/fat) to profiles (thanks, Reddit, for the idea)
- Added email notifications when one's "interested" request gets approved.
Unsubcription is only 1 click, you don't even need to sign in.
- Presumably fixed a bug when some photos were returning 403.
For some of them file permissions disallowed the webserver to serve them. I now set proper file permissions when uploaded + fixed existing cases manually. Sorry for the inconvinience!
- Added telegram to contact details (thank you for the idea)
- Added email notifications when one receives "interested" request.
I definitely don't want to bother you with emails, each email contains link to unsubscribe (only 1 click is needed, no sign-in, nothing else).